Friday, December 2, 2011

Homemade Wire Baskets



Someone online was creative enough to make their own wire mesh baskets using this stuff.  It's called Hardware Cloth and it's found in the gardening section of stores like The Home Depot and Lowe's.  I got my roll for like $13 and in this picture I've used a bunch already.  It started out like 10 feet long by 2 feet wide.  There are different sizes.

Considering that purchasing a basket costs anywhere from $8 to $30, I think this is a deal!
 I didn't take any pics of the cut out shapes, but basically I used a bunch of the wire just figuring out what I wanted.  My husband requested something (3 of them actually) he could hang on the side of his desk.  I cut it using wire cutters (gave myself a blister - it's work cutting so many pieces of wire!) and there was a lot of trial and error.  I did make a basket that was the same size at the top as at the bottom, but I thought it would be too difficult to put your hands in. 
 Also, since the edges were newly-cut wire, I needed something to make them less poky.  I was going to make a liner, but duct tape was a whole lot less effort.

 I "sewed" the raw edges together with 18-gauge crafting wire that I had just hanging around.  Yeah, I have lots of supplies like that hanging around, but if I didn't, it would cost something like $2 for a roll that makes 2 or 3 baskets.
 One of the final products.  I made 3 of them that match.  I think they turned out quite nice and I still have plenty of wire to make more baskets.

No comments:

Post a Comment