Monday, March 5, 2012

Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes, Game of Shadows

A-, with lots of violence, but none graphic.  Appropriate for teenagers but probably not younger.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
This is the second in the Sherlock Holmes installment by Guy Ritchie.  Looking back on the first, I would probably give that one a B-.  I did like it, but there were things about it that bothered me.  It just wasn't a perfect movie.  I have a friend that was totally in love with it and watched it over and over.  It was just okay for me.

My husband and I got a rare night out to go see part 2 and we used some groupon-acquired Fandango tickets so the date ended up being inexpensive and very entertaining.

As pointed out by one reviewer, Robert Downey Jr does a perfect British accent.  It doesn't sound like he's thinking about it, and truth is, I forgot completely that he was American.  It worked.  The style of the film is the same as the first - dark and brooding, with the same or similar music.  The thinking ahead that Sherlock does to highlight how his intelligence gives him an advantage over bigger opponents seems more appropriate this time around.  And Moriarty is a perfect (and perfectly devious) foil.

The movie is very well done and I came away wanting more.  I would recommend it whether you liked the first movie or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment